Sunday, February 21, 2010

A Single Shard

I agree with the article by Linda Sue Park because I also felt same feeling whenever I tried to find a book and read. Since hefty book titles are sold out well with celebrity authors name on it, some authors do not care about how they write. They just describe the normal things which are nothing special.

In this sense, I think Copper Sun is a really great book. This book has a theme of slavery and friendship. This can help adolescents to rethink about their history and life again because slavery was their own history and friendship is what adolescents are experiencing in school. Furthermore, the title of the book has an implication. The surface meaning of Copper Sun is about the sunset and sunrise. However, if you relate it to Amari’s life, the Copper Sun can have a different meaning.

On the other hand, Twilight is a really famous book, but I cannot find important meaning in the story. I think that is because it deals with the fantasy world and love story. There is vampire and wolf. Edward, a vampire, fell in love with Bella, a human. They tried to overcome the differences in their species. I feel like that there are some lessons you can learn, but I am sure most of the story in this book is unrealistic. You cannot learn something valuable after reading this. There is no vampire and no wolf-man in this world. We do not have a chance to see their fighting and falling in love with a human. Twilight is just for fun. I like it, but I cannot get real lessons about life. This book only made me think of the fantasy world.

No comments:

Post a Comment